TERMS OF SERVICE AND PRIVACY
POLICIES SPECIFIC TO OCULUS ACCOUNT USERS
THIS IS A CONTEST, OPEN TO HORIZON USERS THAT MEET THE ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA LISTED BELOW.
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
INTERNET ACCESS, FACEBOOK AND OCULUS ACCOUNT, AND HORIZON ACCESS ARE REQUIRED TO PARTICIPATE.
IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ THESE OFFICIAL RULES, WHICH ARE A CONTRACT, CAREFULLY. WITHOUT LIMITATION, THIS CONTRACT INCLUDES INDEMNITIES TO THE SPONSOR FROM YOU AND A LIMITATION OF YOUR RIGHTS AND REMEDIES. BY PARTICIPATING, YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THESE OFFICIAL RULES AND REPRESENT THAT YOU SATISFY ALL OF THE ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW.
(1) OVERVIEW: The Horizon Worlds Physics Objects and Player Movement Build Jam Contest (“Contest”) is sponsored by Meta Platforms, Inc., 1 Hacker Way, Menlo Park, CA 94025 (“Sponsor”), and encourages creators to create virtual reality (“VR”) games for use in Sponsor’s social and gaming app called Horizon Worlds (“Horizon”). Eligible entrants can enter this Contest as an individual or a Team (defined below) between June 23, 2022 at 10:00:00 AM Pacific Standard Time (“PST”) and 11:59:59 PM PST on August 31, 2022 as further described below. These Official Rules (“Official Rules”) govern participation in the Contest. This is only a high-level summary of the Contest; read through these entire Official Rules to make sure you understand the details.
(2) ELIGIBILITY: Entry and participation in this Contest is open only to individuals and Teams as defined below. All Entrants (as defined below) whether an individual or member of a Team must: (a) be residents of the United States (including D.C.), Canada (excluding Quebec), or the United Kingdom; (b) be at least eighteen years of age and the age of majority in their jurisdiction of residence; (c) have an active and valid Facebook account and have logged into Facebook on Oculus; and (d) have access to Horizon Worlds. Businesses or organizations that are politically affiliated (all as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion) are not eligible to participate in the Contest. An association of between two (2) and ten (10) individuals that does not constitute a legally recognized entity, provided that each natural person comprising such association and meets the eligibility criteria listed above, can submit one entry and are referred to herein as a “Team”.
Team participants must appoint and authorize one individual (the “Representative”) to represent, act, and participate, on their behalf. By entering on behalf of a Team, each Representative represents and warrants on behalf of their Team that they are authorized to act on behalf of their Team (and will have the same limit to one (1) prize per Entrant). Sponsor shall have no liability for any Representative who acts on behalf of a Team.
Entrants may not be under any legal or contractual obligation that would prohibit their participation in any Contest. Any individual for whom participation in this Contest would mean a violation by them of any applicable law or of any agreement to which they are a party is ineligible to participate. Government and political officials, and employees, officers, directors, members, managers, agents, and representatives of Sponsor, or any other entities participating in the design, promotion, marketing, administration, or fulfillment of this Contest, or any of their respective corporate partners, parent companies, divisions, subsidiaries, affiliates, successors in interest, and advertising, promotion, and public relations agencies and any family (i.e., spouse, partner, parent, legal guardian, child, sibling, grandparent, grandchild, or in-law) or other member of the same household (whether or not related) (“Released Parties”) are also not eligible to enter or win this Contest.
Participation in this Contest constitutes each Entrant’s (as defined below) full and unconditional agreement to and acceptance of these Official Rules and the decisions of Sponsor, which are final and binding in all matters. Limit one (1) entry per person submitting individually and one (1) entry per Team. Individuals submitting their own individual entry may not also be a Representative for a Team. Any individual or Team (including each Team member) that enters or takes steps to participate in this Contest is referred to in these Terms as an “Entrant”.
(3) HOW TO ENTER: Between June 23, 2022 at 10:00:00 AM PST and 11:59:59 PM PST on August 31, 2022 (“Entry Period”), eligible Entrants will be invited to create a world or game in Horizon that is compatible in VR (each such world or game referred to herein as an “Asset”), and can enter by:
Publishing the Asset in or as a world in Horizon with the following criteria:
Worlds must be tagged with the “#POPMJam” tag
Worlds must be set to be “Discoverable”
Published with “Visible to Public” toggled on before the deadline. Worlds that have been updated or republished after the deadline may be disqualified.
Completing and submitting the Google Form available at https://forms.gle/YmAjaq764WJmPSa97 (the “Form”), including providing the following information:
Name, Oculus username, and email address of the Entrant(s) (either the individual creator or each member of the Team; in the event of a Team entry, the Representative will be considered the person who submits the Form)
Name of the published and discoverable World containing the Asset
A short written description of the Asset (up to 500 words), explaining what inspired you, how to play your game (if applicable), how many people your world / game can accommodate, and who you think this will most appeal to;
A video (up to five (5) minutes) showing the Asset. The videos must be publicly viewable without requirement to enter a password through September 30, 2022.
Successful completion of all of the steps above constitutes an “Entry”. All Entries, and elements thereof, must comply with the Submission Requirements listed in Section 4 below to be considered for this Contest.
Entries must be submitted in full (all steps above must be completed) by Entrant during the Entry Period in strict accordance with the instructions and restrictions in these Official Rules and any other instructions that Sponsor may provide through its authorized representatives or otherwise. Entries that are not actually completed and received by Sponsor during the Entry Period will not be considered for the Contest. Purported proof of entry (such as, without limitation, a screenshot of your purported entry) does not constitute proof of actual entry for purposes of this Contest. Purported entries that are incomplete, received outside the Entry Period, or contain obscene, offensive, or any other language or imagery communicating messages inconsistent with the positive images with which Sponsor wishes to associate itself (all as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion) will be void. Those who do not abide by these Official Rules and the instructions of Sponsor and its representatives and provide all required information may, in Sponsor’s sole discretion, be disqualified and any purported entry by such Entrant void. Entry that is fraudulent, forged, altered, incomplete, lost, late, misdirected, mutilated, illegitimate, incomprehensible, garbled, or generated by a macro, bot, or other automated means will not be accepted and will be void. Entry made by someone on behalf of any other Entrant or any entity or group, made by another on your behalf (with the exception of a Team Representative), or originating at any online service other than as specifically described above (including, without limitation, through a commercial promotion subscription, notification, or entering service) will be declared invalid and disqualified for this Contest. RETAIN A COPY OF YOUR ENTRY AND ALL CONTENT SUBMITTED DURING THE CONTEST, AND ALL RECORDS OF YOUR PARTICIPATION. SPONSOR IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR PROVIDING A COPY OR REPORT OF ANY ELEMENT OF PARTICIPATION.
(4) SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS: Any and all aspects of participation in the Contest, including without limitation, the Assets, videos, and all Contest-related material or information submitted by an Entrant (collectively, “Content”) must meet all of the following requirements, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion, or the associated participation may be disqualified:
Asset must be a world or game built within Horizon Worlds that utilizes at least one of the following interaction features as part of the central focus of the experience:
“Physical Hands,” which is a feature that allows players to push, tap, flip and punch in-world physics objects directly using their avatar hands by direct physical contact with virtual objects;
“Weight Simulation of Held Objects,” which is a feature that enables creation of heavy feeling objects which actually weigh down players’ hands and behave with realistic momentum when swung; or
Player movement code blocks, which enable the creation of custom scripted locomotion mechanics like flying or climbing using either animated “moveTo/moveBy” actions or physics based “setVelocity/addVelocity” actions.
Asset must include at least one asset from the new set of recently released assets listed below, which can be found in the Horizon Asset Library. These assets can be used as is with gameplay built around them (e.g. by adding objectives/scoring) or they can be edited to adjust behaviors (e.g. made bigger/smaller, changing physical properties) to better fit a world’s intended gameplay. They can also be completely remixed to have new and improved functionality added as long as at least one of these assets was used as the foundation that Entrant built the Asset out of, somewhere in the world:
Physics Interfaces (button, toggle, keypad, slider, wheel)
Punching Targets (punching bag, double end bag, reflex bag)
Buoyancy (water, toy boat)
Hitting Weapons (swords, hammers, flails)
Hitting Tools (hammer & nail, pickaxe)
Hitting Sports (golf club, paddle, tennis racquet)
Entries must be entirely in the English language or include English subtitles.
Content must be original to each Entrant (or include content that is in the public domain or that is provided to Entrant by Sponsor for use in the Contest) and must not otherwise include or reference the intellectual property (e.g., characters, music, sounds, logos, symbols, trademarked names and objects, “look and feel”) of any other person or entity. In addition to the foregoing, Content may not infringe upon the rights, including but not limited to intellectual property rights, of any third parties. Except as otherwise required herein in relation to members of a Team, no other person or entity besides Entrant or Sponsor may have rights to any Content.
Content may include assets from the Horizon Asset Library that are owned, distributed by, and attributed to Sponsor, but may not include third party assets.
Content may not mention or depict any identifiable person other than the Entrant who submitted such content.
Content must not infringe, misappropriate, plagiarize, or violate any rights of any third-party including, without limitation, copyright (including moral rights), trademark, trade secret, or rights of privacy or publicity.
Content must adhere to the Horizon Worlds Prohibited Content Policy (https://store.facebook.com/help/quest/articles/horizon/create-in-horizon-worlds/restrictions-to-worlds-in-horizon/) and not include information or content that is false, fraudulent, deceptive, misleading, defamatory, libelous (including trade libel), disparaging, harassing, threatening, profane, obscene, pornographic or otherwise adult-oriented, hateful, indecent, inappropriate, hurtful of religious sentiments, or injurious to any Released Party or any other party.
Content must not contain or describe any harmful or illegal activity or content or in any way violate any federal, state, or local laws, rules, or regulations.
Content must be suitable for presentation in a public forum.
Content, and all components thereof, must be unpublished in Horizon prior to being submitted as part of the Contest unless the “Visible to Public” feature in the Horizon publishing tool is toggled off. Entry must not be publicly displayed prior to submission except according to these Official Rules.
Content may not have been entered into any other contest, sweepstakes, promotion, or competition or otherwise distributed by you in any way prior to submission.
Entries must not create or imply any association between Sponsor and any individual, entity, or anyone else or his, her, or its products and services.
Entries must not contain any commercial or corporate advertising (including, without limitation, corporate logos, brand names, and slogans), recognizable branded products, or commercial artwork.
Sponsor may at any time disqualify, remove, delete, edit, or restrict access to content that violates these Official Rules, the Facebook Community Standards, and/or the Conduct in VR Policy.
You agree that your participation in this Contest and agreement to these Official Rules will not violate any agreement to which you are a signatory or party and that no such agreement otherwise limits your ability to participate in this Contest or grant the rights granted by you in these Official Rules.
You agree to indemnify the Released Parties against any loss or expense that the Released Parties may sustain or incur on account of any and all claims from any third-party for any use by any Released Party of the Entry authorized pursuant to these Official Rules.
Entries must be made available free of charge and with sufficient access through September 30, 2022 to enable viewing, evaluation, use, and testing by Sponsor and Judges (as defined below). Entries must be capable of successful and consistent operation and function in Horizon as described and depicted within the Entry Content. Entrants must at all times comply with the letter and spirit of the Horizon Worlds Supplemental Terms of Service (https://www.oculus.com/legal/horizon-worlds-terms-of-service/), Facebook Terms of Services (https://www.facebook.com/legal/terms) and Oculus Supplemental Terms of Service (https://www.oculus.com/legal/terms-of-service/), and any other use terms, policies, documentation, and other guidelines applicable to any platforms used to develop, host, operate, testing, distribute, and display any Entry. Any attempt to subvert or work-around of such terms and conditions or policies may, in Sponsor’s sole discretion, lead to such Entrant’s disqualification. Sponsor may at any time request written proof of ownership or proper license or use of any material comprising an Entry. Failure to evidence such proof timely or to Sponsor’s satisfaction may result in ineligibility and disqualification of the Entrant and/or Entry. No technology may be developed, or derived from software that was or is developed, with the direct or indirect aid of financial or preferential support (including but is not limited to development under or with any contract, commercial license or other funding, investment, or support) from Sponsor. Any time prior to the end of the Entry Period, Sponsor may disqualify any Entry or Entrant from receiving a prize in this Contest if Sponsor determines doing so would cause a real or perceived conflict of interest or unfair advantage.
Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any Entrant from the Contest if in Sponsor’s sole discretion Entrant Content does not comply with these Content requirements or if you do not comply with any other requirement of these Official Rules.
(5) WINNER SELECTION/NOTIFICATION: Entries will be evaluated based on the Judging criteria listed below by a panel of gameplay and mechanics experts on the Horizon team (“Judge(s)”) approximately between September 12, 2022 and September 23, 2022. Judges will select the top three (3) submissions ranked as First, Second, and Third place, and the judges also have discretion to award up to 10 additional discretionary Honorable Mentions prizes based on the same criteria and up to 16 additional discretionary “Special Awards” based on the select categories described below (all referred to as “Winners” herein). For clarity, each Entry may be awarded a maximum of one prize. In the event that an Entry would qualify for two or more prizes, the judges’ decision to award such Entry a prize in the same or a higher prize earning category (i.e., in descending order, First place, Second place, Third place, Special Awards, and Honorable Mentions) will disqualify the Entry from eligibility for other prizes in the same or lower prize earning categories (e.g., If an Entry is judged to be both the “Most Replayable” and the “Most Technically Impressive,” the judges may decide to award the Entry either Special Award, in which case the Entry would not be considered as part of the pool of Potential Winners for the other award, any other Special Award, or an Honorable Mentions prize). Potential Winners will be notified via email on or about September 26, 2022.
How we evaluate
Design & Functionality
Does the world or game function as intended? Is it smooth and responsive? Is it easy to navigate through the world or game? Do people know where to go and how to get there? Is the world or game delightful and enjoyable to visit? Does the world or game have great SFX, VFX, and haptic feedback?
Weighted at 25% of total score.
How likely is the world design and its gameplay to drive repeat visits? Both in intrinsic (fun, well tuned, skill based gameplay) and extrinsic (high score boards, progression systems) ways.
Weighted at 25% of total score.
New & Innovative
Does the world or game exhibit creativity and innovation? Is there some aspect that’s unique about it?
Weighted at 25% of total score.
How well does the world or game drive social interaction and strengthen connections between visitors or players?
Weighted at 25% of total score.
Special Awards (Maximum of 2 winners per category)
Judges have discretion to grant Special Awards to Entries that (a) achieve a high judging score based on the criteria listed above; (b) were not ranked First, Second, or Third place, or awarded an Honorable Mention Award; (c) are judged to have skillfully incorporated elements focusing on either player movement or use of object physics; and (d) are judged as satisfying the associated Special Awards category, including any of the following categories:
How we evaluate
Best Feeling Gameplay
Best use of interaction design, visual/audio/haptic feedback and objectives to create a satisfying core game loop.
Best Level Design
Best environment design that significantly adds to the gameplay of the world.
Most Technically Impressive
Most innovative and technically complex use of scripting or interaction patterns that delight and challenge people’s expectation of what’s possible.
Best Social Space
Most well designed-for-social-interaction social space where people want to spend time together to interact with what’s in the world.
Most Unexpected / Surprising
Most unexpected or surprising use of the new features in an interactive asset or world.
Most enrapturing experience, keeping the player engaged and going back for more session after session.
Best Use of an Example Asset
Best example of repurposing an asset from the Horizon Asset Library in a world or game.
Best Use of New Features
Best application and usage of a new feature as part of a central focus of the world or game.
For clarity, up to two Special Awards for each category listed above will be granted: one focusing on player movement, and the other focusing on object physics. For example, the Special Award for “Best Feeling Gameplay” may be granted to both (a) the Entry that makes the best use of interaction design, visual/audio/haptic feedback and objectives to create a satisfying core game loop incorporating objects with tuned physics properties like gravity strength, mass, drag friction, and bounciness, and separately, (b) the Entry that makes the best use of interaction design, visual/audio/haptic feedback and objectives to create a satisfying core game loop incorporating a new custom scripted movement mechanic (e.g., hand direction based jetpack or flappable wings). As stated above, each Entry may be awarded a maximum of one prize (e.g., an Entry cannot win both Special Awards for the same category).
In the event of a tie, it will be resolved by Judges’ vote. Each potential Winner, including all natural people who are members of a winning Team (as determined and requested in Sponsor’s sole discretion), may be required to complete, execute and return a form presented by Sponsor and other documents (if necessary, which largely affirm the rights granted and obligations contained in these Official Rules) (collectively, the “Winner Documents”) according to Sponsor’s instructions. Failure to comply with these requirements, Sponsor’s or its representative’s instructions, or these Official Rules may, in Sponsor’s sole discretion – having due regard of the interests of the potential Winner, result in disqualification from the Contest and forfeiture of any prize potentially won. The Winner Documents, if required, are each subject to verification by Sponsor and may require the Entrant to provide a copy of government-issued identification card or number therefrom. If any prize, prize notification, or other Contest-related communication is returned as undeliverable or if a selected potential Winner cannot be reached or does not respond as instructed after Sponsor has attempted to notify that potential Winner, that selected Winner may – after the sponsor has taken reasonable efforts to reach the selected Winner – be disqualified and an alternate winner may be selected (time permitting and in Sponsor’s sole discretion). The prize claim and Prize Winner Documents are subject to verification by Sponsor. The prizes, if legitimately claimed, will be awarded. Sponsor will not be obligated to pursue more than two (2) alternate winners (time permitting) for any reason.
(6) PRIZES, QUANTITY, AND APPROXIMATE RETAIL VALUE (“ARV”): Limit one (1) prize per Entrant. Prizes will be awarded as follows:
1st: $20,000.00 USD
2nd: $15,000.00 USD
3rd: $10,000.00 USD
Up to 16 Special Awards: $5,000.00 USD, each
Up to 10 Honorable Mentions: $2,500.00 USD, each
Total ARV of all prizes: Up to $150,000.00 USD
If a Team Entrant wins, the prize will be awarded to the Representative. Sponsor is not responsible for a potential Winner’s inability to accept or use the prize for any reason. Prize details will be decided in Sponsor’s sole discretion. No more than the stated prizes will be awarded. Sponsor will not replace any lost, mutilated, or stolen prizes or prize elements or any prizes that are undeliverable or do not reach a Winner because of an incorrect or changed contact information. If a Winner does not accept or use the entire prize, the unaccepted or unused part of the prize will be forfeited, and Sponsor will have no further obligation with respect to that prize or portion thereof. No transfers, prize substitutions, or cash redemptions will be made, except at Sponsor’s sole discretion and as noted above. Winners are strictly prohibited from selling, auctioning, trading, or otherwise transferring any part of the prize, except with Sponsor’s permission, which may be granted or withheld for any reason in Sponsor’s sole discretion. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute any prize or portion thereof with another prize or portion thereof of equal or greater value for any reason, including unavailability of the stated prize. Each Entrant waives the right to assert as a cost of winning any prize any and all costs of verification and redemption or and any liability and publicity which may arise from claiming or seeking to claim a prize.
Prizes will be payable to the Entrant, if an individual or to the Entrant’s Representative, if a Team. It will be the responsibility of the winning Entrant’s Representative to allocate the prize among their Team’s participating members, as the Representative deems appropriate without involvement of Sponsor. A valid bank account may be required for the winner(s) of Prizes valued at one thousand ($1,000) USD or more to receive payment of their Prize(s) and are payable only after receipt of the Winner Documents and any other required forms. A winning Entrant may be required to provide a mailing address, bank information, and/or create an account with an electronic payment provider of the Sponsor’s choosing in order to receive payment. To the fullest extent allowable under applicable law, all taxes (including, without limitation, national, federal, state, provincial, territorial, prefectural, and/or local taxes), as well as any expenses arising from acceptance or use of the prize and not specified in these Terms as being provided as part of the prize, are the sole responsibility of the Winner. In the event of a Team winner, the Representative will be solely responsible for the foregoing. If applicable, Winners of prizes valued at $600 or more will receive an IRS form 1099 for the total value of the prize received following receipt of the prize.
(8) PUBLICITY; ENTRANTS OWNERSHIP OF ENTRIES AND LICENSE GRANTED. LICENSES: By entering, except where prohibited by law, each Entrant grants to the Released Parties (and their agents, successors, and assigns) the irrevocable, transferable, sublicensable, absolute right and permission to use, edit, modify, copy, reproduce, and distribute the Asset and any other Entrant Content (including the Entrant’s Oculus and Facebook username and profile) that comprises the Entrant’s Entry in perpetuity and in any medium (including online and in digital media) in any language, throughout the world, for the purposes of evaluating Entries, administering this Contest, for internal research and development purposes, and for any marketing or promotional purposes, without further review, notice, approval, consideration, or compensation beyond the opportunity to win a prize in this Contest. Each Entrant further grants to the Released Parties (and their agents, successors, and assigns) a non-exclusive, irrevocable, worldwide, transferable and sublicensable right and license to use his, her, or their (and their Asset’s) trade names, trademarks (including logos), and the Entrant’s Oculus and Facebook usernames and profiles in connection with this Contest.
Entries may be packaged and distributed to the Horizon community as templates, including through the Horizon Asset Library. These templates may include the Entrant’s username(s) and will be free for use and remix without attribution by other Horizon users. Horizon users with access to monetization features may have the ability to list Assets from the Horizon Asset Library for sale, even if such activity is not permitted by Sponsor’s policies. By entering, each Entrant acknowledges and agrees that the Released Parties will have no obligation to prevent such monetization and will not be liable for any infringement of Entrant’s copyright or other proprietary rights in their Asset and any other Entrant Content comprising the Entrant’s Entry in connection with any sale, use, copying, performance, distribution, transmittance, or making available of such Asset or Entrant Content related thereto on or in connection with Horizon Worlds. To this end, Entrant grants to the Released Parties a perpetual, irrevocable, limited, non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable (through multiple tiers), royalty-free, fully paid-up, worldwide license to copy, display, perform, distribute, transmit, and make available Entrant’s Asset and any other Entrant Content comprising the Entrant’s Entry for sale through any store (including digital), without further review, notice, approval, consideration, or compensation beyond the opportunity to win a prize in this Contest.
By entering, except where prohibited by law, each Entrant also grants to the Released Parties a non-exclusive, transferable, and sublicensable, right and license to use, publish, post, edit, modify, copy, reproduce, and distribute their name, voice, face, likeness in and in any medium (including online and in digital media) in any language, throughout the world, for the purposes of evaluating Entries, administering the Contest, announcing Winners, and for any marketing or promotional purposes, without further review, notice, approval, consideration, or compensation beyond the opportunity to win a prize in this Contest. Nothing contained in these Official Rules obligates Sponsor to make use of any of the rights granted herein and each natural person granting publicity rights under this provision waives any right to inspect or approve any such use.
Each Entrant waives and releases the Released Parties from any and all claims that Entrant may now or hereafter have in any jurisdiction based on “moral rights” or “droit moral” or unfair competition with respect to Sponsor’s exploitation of any Entry without further notification or compensation to Entrant of any kind, and agrees not to instigate, support, maintain, or authorize any action, claim, or lawsuit against the Released Parties, each of their licensees, or any other person in connection with this Contest, on the grounds that any use of any Entry or element thereof or derivative works therefrom in accordance with this license infringes or violates any of Entrant’s rights (including moral rights) therein. In no way limiting the foregoing, each Entrant acknowledges that, with respect to any claim by Entrant relating to or arising out of a Released Party’s actual or alleged exploitation or use of any Entry or other material submitted in connection with this Contest, the damage, if any, thereby caused to the applicable Entrant will not be irreparable or otherwise sufficient to entitle such Entrant to seek injunctive or other equitable relief or in any way enjoin the production, distribution, exhibition, or other exploitation of any Released Party bot, application, service or other property, and Entrant’s rights and remedies in any such event are strictly limited to the right to recover damages, if any, in an action at law.
(9) LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: Each Entrant hereby acknowledges and agrees that the relationship between the Entrant and each of the Released Parties is not a confidential, fiduciary, or other special relationship, and that the Entrant’s decision to participate in the Contest does not place any of the Released Parties in a position that is any different from the position held by members of the general public with regard to elements of the Content, other than as set forth in these Official Rules. Each Entrant understands and acknowledges that the Released Parties have wide access to ideas, text, images, code, applications, software, and other creative materials. Each Entrant also acknowledges that many ideas for products, services, and advertising may be competitive with, similar to, or identical to their Content and/or each other in idea, function, components, format, or other respects. Each Entrant acknowledges and agrees that they will not be entitled to any compensation as a result of any Released Party’s use of any such similar or identical material that has or may come to such Released Party from other sources. Each Entrant acknowledges and agrees that the Released Parties do not now and will not have in the future any duty or liability (direct or indirect; vicarious, contributory, or otherwise) with respect to the infringement or protection of the Entrant’s or any third party’s patent, copyright or other proprietary rights in and to their Content.
TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, EACH ENTRANT AGREES TO RELEASE, HOLD HARMLESS, AND INDEMNIFY EACH OF THE RELEASED PARTIES FROM AND AGAINST ANY LIABILITY WHATSOEVER FOR INJURIES OR DAMAGES OF ANY KIND SUSTAINED IN CONNECTION WITH THE ACCEPTANCE, USE, MISUSE, OR AWARDING OF A PRIZE OR WHILE PREPARING FOR, PARTICIPATING IN, AND/OR TRAVELING TO OR FROM ANY PRIZE OR CONTEST-RELATED ACTIVITY INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY INJURY, DAMAGE, LOSS, DEATH OR ACCIDENT TO OR OF PERSON OR PROPERTY. THE PRIOR LIMITATION ON DAMAGES IS NOT INTENDED TO LIMIT THE RELEASED PARTIES’ OBLIGATION (IF ANY) TO PAY PREVAILING PARTY COSTS OR FEES IF RECOVERABLE PURSUANT TO APPLICABLE LAW. THE LIMITATIONS SET FORTH IN THIS SECTION WILL NOT LIMIT OR EXCLUDE THE RELEASED PARTIES’ LIABILITY FOR PERSONAL INJURY OR TANGIBLE PROPERTY DAMAGE CAUSED BY THE RELEASED PARTIES, OR FOR THE RELEASED PARTIES’ GROSS NEGLIGENCE, FRAUD, OR INTENTIONAL, WILLFUL, MALICIOUS, OR RECKLESS MISCONDUCT. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, EACH WINNER AGREES THAT THE PRIZES ARE PROVIDED AS-IS WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY, REPRESENTATION, OR GUARANTEE, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, IN FACT OR IN LAW, WHETHER NOW KNOWN OR HEREINAFTER ENACTED, RELATIVE TO THE USE OR ENJOYMENT OF THE PRIZE, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THEIR QUALITY, MERCHANTABILITY, OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
(10) DISPUTES/GOVERNING LAW: Except where prohibited, as a condition of participating in this Contest, each Entrant agrees that any and all disputes that cannot be resolved between the Entrant and any Released Party, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest, or the prize awarded, or the determination of a Winner must be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action. Further, in any such dispute, under no circumstances will any Entrant be permitted or entitled to obtain awards for, and hereby waives all rights to claim punitive, incidental or consequential damages, or any other damages, including attorneys’ fees, other than Entrant’s actual out-pocket expenses (if any), not to exceed ten dollars ($10 USD), and Entrant further waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased.
THIS CONTEST, THESE OFFICIAL RULES, AND ANY DISPUTE ARISING UNDER OR RELATED THERETO (WHETHER FOR BREACH OF CONTRACT, TORTIOUS CONDUCT OR OTHERWISE) WILL BE GOVERNED, CONSTRUED, AND INTERPRETED UNDER THE INTERNAL LAWS OF THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA, USA, WITHOUT REFERENCE OR GIVING EFFECT TO ITS CONFLICTS OF LAW PRINCIPLES OR RULES THAT WOULD CAUSE THE APPLICATION OF THE LAWS OF ANY OTHER JURISDICTION. ANY LEGAL ACTIONS, SUITS, OR PROCEEDINGS RELATED TO THIS CONTEST (WHETHER FOR BREACH OF CONTRACT, TORTIOUS CONDUCT, OR OTHERWISE) WILL BE BROUGHT EXCLUSIVELY IN THE U.S. DISTRICT COURT FOR THE NORTHERN DISTRICT OF CALIFORNIA OR A STATE COURT LOCATED IN OR HAVING JURISDICTION OVER SAN MATEO COUNTY, CALIFORNIA AND EACH ENTRANT IRREVOCABLY ACCEPTS, SUBMITS, AND CONSENTS TO THE EXCLUSIVE JURISDICTION AND VENUE OF THESE COURTS WITH RESPECT TO ANY LEGAL ACTIONS, SUITS, OR PROCEEDINGS ARISING OUT OF OR RELATED TO THIS CONTEST. YOU WAIVE ANY AND ALL OBJECTIONS TO JURISDICTION AND VENUE IN THESE COURTS AND HEREBY SUBMIT TO THE JURISDICTION OF THOSE COURTS.
(11) ADDITIONAL DISCLAIMERS: The Released Parties are not responsible and/or liable for any of the following, whether caused by a Released Party, an Entrant, or by human error: participation submitted by illegitimate means (such as, without limitation, by an automated computer program) or participation in excess of any stated limit; any lost, late, incomplete, illegible, unintelligible, garbled, mutilated, or misdirected participation, email, or Contest-related correspondence or materials; any error, omission, interruption, defect or delay in transmission or communication; viruses or technical or mechanical malfunctions; interrupted or unavailable cable or satellite systems; errors, typos, or misprints in these Official Rules, any Contest-related advertisements, or other materials; failures of electronic equipment, computer hardware, or software; lost or unavailable network connections or failed, incorrect, incomplete, inaccurate, garbled or delayed electronic communications or participation information. Released Parties are not responsible for electronic communications that are undeliverable or do not reach Entrants as a result of any form of active or passive filtering of any kind or insufficient space in a potential Winner’s email inbox to receive email messages. Released Parties are not responsible, and may disqualify you, if your email address or other contact information does not work or is changed without prior written notice to Sponsor. Without limiting any other provision in these Official Rules, the Released Parties are not responsible or liable to any Entrant or Winner (or any person claiming through such Entrant or Winner) for failure to supply the prize or any part thereof in the event that any of the Contest activities or Released Parties’ operations or activities are affected by any cause or event beyond the sole and reasonable control of the applicable Released Party (as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion), including, without limitation, by reason of any force majeure event, equipment failure, threatened or actual terrorist acts, air raid, act of public enemy, war (declared or undeclared), civil disturbance, insurrection, riot, epidemic, pandemic, fire, explosion, earthquake, flood, hurricane, unusually severe weather, blackout, embargo, labor dispute or strike (whether legal or illegal), labor or material shortage, transportation interruption of any kind, work slow-down, any law, rule, regulation, action, order, or request adopted, taken, or made by any governmental or quasi-governmental entity (whether or not such governmental act proves to be invalid), or any other cause, whether or not specifically mentioned above.
(12) GENERAL RULES: Sponsor’s decisions will be final in all matters relating to this Contest, including interpretation of these Official Rules, selection of the Winners, and awarding of the prizes. Entrants further agree not to damage or cause interruption of the Contest and/or prevent others from participating in or engaging with the Contest. Sponsor reserves the right to restrict or void participation from any IP address or other identifiable source if any suspicious participation is detected. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to void the participation of any Entrant who Sponsor believes has attempted to tamper with or impair the administration, security, fairness, or proper play of this Contest. Sponsor’s failure or decision not to enforce any provision in these Official Rules will not constitute a waiver of that or any other provision. In the event there is an alleged or actual ambiguity, discrepancy, or inconsistency between disclosures or other statements contained in any Contest-related materials and/or these Official Rules (including any alleged ambiguity, discrepancy, or inconsistency within these Official Rules), it will be resolved by Sponsor in its sole discretion. Entrants waive any right to claim ambiguity in these Official Rules. If Sponsor determines at any time in its sole discretion that a Winner or potential Winner is disqualified, ineligible, in violation of these Official Rules, or engaging in behavior that Sponsor deems obnoxious, inappropriate, threatening, illegal or that is intended to annoy, abuse, or harass any other person, Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify that Winner or potential Winner, even if the disqualified Winner or potential Winner may have been notified or displayed or announced anywhere. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of these Official Rules will not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision. If any provision is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable or illegal, these Official Rules will otherwise remain in effect and will be construed in accordance with their terms as if the invalid or illegal provision were not contained herein. If the Contest is not capable of running as planned for any reason, Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, modify, or suspend the Contest and award the prizes from eligible, non-suspect participation prior to cancellation, modification, or suspension or as otherwise deemed fair and appropriate by Sponsor. If any person supplies false information, participates by fraudulent means, or is otherwise determined to be in violation of these Official Rules in an attempt to obtain a prize, Sponsor may disqualify that person and seek damages from them, and that person may be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. In the event of a dispute concerning the identity of an Entrant, the dispute must be resolved to Sponsor’s satisfaction or the related participation will be disqualified. Any Entrant may be required to provide Sponsor with proof of eligibility in the form requested. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT TO DAMAGE ANY ONLINE SERVICE OR WEBSITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST MAY VIOLATE CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS. IF SUCH AN ATTEMPT IS MADE, SPONSOR MAY DISQUALIFY ANY ENTRANT MAKING SUCH ATTEMPT AND MAY SEEK DAMAGES TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
(13) WINNERS' LIST/OFFICIAL RULES: To find out who won, send an email to Sponsor at HorizonWorlds@fb.com and in the Subject Line write: Horizon Worlds Physics Objects and Player Movement Build Jam Contest Winners. Requests for winner information must be received no later than three (3) months following the end of the Contest. For a copy of these Official Rules, print out these pages or send an email during the Contest to Sponsor at HorizonWorlds@fb.com and in the Subject Line write: Horizon Make-a-World: Physics Objects and Player Movement Build Jam Contest Rules Request.
(14) SPONSOR: Meta Platforms, Inc., 1 Hacker Way, Menlo Park, CA 94025 USA
Facebook © 2022